Thursday, January 16, 2014

Creativity Is Dead

I just found this blog again. It has been ten months since my last post. And again, boredom at work is driving me to write something, anything. This title was a draft, so I opened it. And there was no content to draw from. But the thought is still true.

I haven't written creatively in so long that I don't remember the last time I did. And every time I want to be creative, I feel like I have nothing to draw from. I have no ideas. No inspiration. I read every day, mostly fiction. I read about worlds that didn't exist before someone thought them up and wrote them down. I read about people with powers. About societies that have died. About the loner rising up and making a change.

But when I want to write, I can't think of anything. There are no worlds in my head except the one I live in. There are no conquerors or adventurers or talking animals fighting their way out of my imagination. My creativity has been snatched from me and replaced with things like healthcare terminology and RFP language. Without those things, I wouldn't be making a living. So they are good things. But they are also boring things, and I want to stop being boring.

I want to find something to write about.

And maybe I will. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment